In the 6th century BC, Milesian colonists founded a settlement named Tyras on the future location of Bilhorod-Dnistrovskyi, which later came under Roman and Byzantine rule. During 14th and 15th centyury Cetatea Albă was was its second major city, the major port and an important fortress . The fortress is enlarged and rebuilt in 1407 by Alexandru cel Bun and in 1440 by Stephen II.
In 1450 it was besieged by the Turks. Alexandru Voda in 1451, Stephen the Great in 1481 to restore and increase the size of the fortress . The Turks conquered the city in 1484, named him Ak-Kerman (White Castle) and exalted him until 1812 when the Russian Empire conquered the region .
At this moment is one of the most well preserved fortress on Ukraine .