The present church was built by Ioanichie within the precincts of the two-storey inn he had established in Bucharest. The monastery he founded was sustained financially by the inn, a common arrangement during the epoch. In 1726, Abbot Ioanichie was elected Metropolitan of Stavropoleos and Exarch of the Karia region. At this time, the monastery which he had built was given the title Stavropoleos, after the name of the old metropolis (bishop’s see).
Of the original monastery and inn buildings, only the church has been preserved. It represents one of the most outstanding examples of the Brincoveanu style.
The other buildings that can be seen today are the result of an extensive restoration and building project begun in 1897 by well-known architect Ion Mincu.