Colored Sighisoara

Colored Sighisoara

Sighisoara – the city founded in the XIII century Saxon colonists. In those days, was called Shessburg. The city played an important strategic and commercial role at the edges of Central Europe for several centuries. Sighișoara became one of the most important cities of Transylvania, with artisans from throughout the Holy Roman Empire visiting the settlement. The German artisans and craftsmen dominated the urban economy, as well as building the fortifications protecting it. It is estimated that during the 16th and 17th centuries Sighișoara had as many as 15...
Rupea Fortress

Rupea Fortress

Rupea fortress is located 50 km from Brasov, built on a massive basalt,. It is a peasant fortress with four polygonal towers reinforced areas. The fortress was modified over time by adding two courtyards and three towers. The first document dates from 1324. Documents XV century fortress mentioned as an important commercial and crafts, having 12 guilds. The city served as a fortress in time and refuge for the people living in the surrounding hills and valleys, its place being strategic In 2009 began the rehabilitation of the city, the photos below showing the city...
The White Fortress – Bilhorod-Dnistrovskyi Fortress

The White Fortress – Bilhorod-Dnis...

For romanians  known as Cetatea Alba (The White Fortress) , for ukrainians  Bilhorod-Dnistrovskyi Fortress , it one of the most important fortress built on the Middle Ages on the Principality of Moldova .    In the 6th century BC, Milesian colonists founded a settlement named Tyras on the future location of Bilhorod-Dnistrovskyi, which later came under Roman and Byzantine rule. During 14th and 15th centyury Cetatea Albă was was its second major city, the major port and an important fortress . The fortress is enlarged and rebuilt in 1407 by Alexandru cel...
Hotin Fortress

Hotin Fortress

 It is situated on a territory of the historical northern Moldova .  Construction on the current Hotin fortress was started in 1325, while major improvements were made in the 1380s and in the 1460s.  Under the rule of Stephen the Great of Moldavia the fortress was greatly expanded.  Under his leadership, new 5–6 meter wide and 40 meters high walls were built.  He also added three towers and raised the courtyard by 10 meters. The courtyard was divided into princes’ and soldiers’ halves. He also dug deep basements which served as barracks to...